Graysville, class of 2007, designated 2011, graysvillecity.com
Located in northwestern Jefferson County and often considered a suburb of Birmingham, Graysville, which was incorporated in 1945, was known as Gin Town until the early 1900s because it had one of the only cotton gins in the area. The original city council established the Graysville Water Works system in 1946 and in 1949, the city council established the Graysville Gas Board which eventually became the Graysville Municipal Gas System. During the 1950s and 1960s, the local coal mines and steel mills attracted families from all over Alabama. As a result of this growth, Graysville established the city’s first series of home developments and subdivisions. During the 1980s and 1990s, Graysville expanded its city limits by annexing multiple acres in what was then unincorporated Jefferson County. With the opening of Interstate 22 and additional commercial growth, Graysville ushered in a new era of excellence and progress.
With a population of nearly 2,000, Graysville maintains several municipal parks that include baseball and softball fields, walking and running tracks, picnic areas and pavilions, basketball courts and a canoe park. Graysville also maintains a community center, senior center and public library, which supports students from at least seven elementary schools, five junior high schools, four high schools and four private schools.
246 South Main Street Graysville, Alabama 35073 | 205.674.5643