Haleyville, class of 2003, designated 2005, cityofhaleyville.com
Located in the northwest corner of Winston County, the City of Haleyville is approximately 60 miles south of the Quad-Cities area, 90 miles northwest of Birmingham, and 75 miles north of Tuscaloosa. Haleyville was incorporated in 1889 and, in 1968, became the first municipality in the United States to implement the use of the emergency telephone number 9-1-1, which was hosted at the police station and facilitated by the local provider, Alabama Telephone Company. Haleyville’s physical development was influenced by several factors, including the location of the railroad, proximity to major roads, availability of a labor force and ownership of property.
With a population of just over 4,361, Haleyville has numerous local and recreational attractions, including the Palmer-Feldman House (ca. 1902) and the Feldman Department Store (ca. 1914), which are listed on the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage. Feldman’s Department Store is also on the National Register of Historic Places, as is a nearby archaeological site dating back some 2,500 years. Haleyville’s 140-acre Rocky Ravine/City Lake Park features hiking trails, picnic facilities, fishing, and playground equipment, as well as a natural gorge. In addition, the city lies just west of the William B. Bankhead National Forest and Bear Creek Reservoir to the south, both of which provide numerous outdoor activities. The community’s annual 9-1-1 Festival honors the area’s first responders, supports downtown merchants and provides a variety of entertainment.
911 21st Street, Haleyville, AL 35565 | 205-486-3121