Saraland, class of 2014, designated 2015, saraland.org
Located in Mobile County in extreme southwest Alabama, the area on which Saraland now stands was originally part of a Spanish land grant and was first was settled by squatters as early as 1800. The town’s original name was Alvarez Station. Its current name reportedly came from a retired minister who established the first post office in the area in 1895 and dubbed the town Saraland after his wife, Sara. Saraland was sparsely populated during the first part of this century until an industrial and population boom occurred in neighboring Mobile. Northward expansion of Mobile in the 1940s and 50s brought about the incorporation of Saraland in 1957.
With a population of just over 16,100, Saraland is a quickly growing area with 11 municipal parks, featuring playground areas, basketball courts as well as baseball, softball and football fields. The city sponsors youth sports leagues in baseball, softball and football. In addition, Saraland is located adjacent to the Mobile-Tensaw River Delta and is part of the Alabama Forever Wild Land Trust, home to some of the most biologically diverse habitat in Alabama. This preserved scenic area is popular for camping, hiking with multiple trails available, and bird watching.
"716 Saraland Blvd. South Saraland, AL 36571" | (251) 675-5103