The Leeds Southern Railway Depot was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1983 and is listed in the Register of the Jefferson County Historical Commission and in the Alabama Historical Commission’s Register of Landmarks and Heritage. The Depot was built by Richmond & Danville Co. in 1883-84 following the completion of the Georgia & Pacific RR line between Birmingham and Atlanta, three years before the Town of Leeds was incorporated. Richmond Terminal Co. operated the Georgia-Pacific lines until 1885 when Richmond & Danville RR took over, succeeded by Southern Railway in 1894. Efforts to save the historic building began in 1980 after Southern RR merged with Norfolk-Southern RR. The restoration project was completed in 1984, 100 years after the depot was built.
In 1999, the City of Leeds renovated the baggage room, turning it into a public meeting room. Two museum rooms in the Depot feature railroad history, records and artifacts. Owned by the city and operated by the Leeds Historical Society, the depot is located in a hundred-acre national historic district that includes 22 buildings and is listed as Leeds Downtown Historic District.
Open Year-round by appointment
General Admission Fee: Looking at the site grounds is free; group reservation prices vary; to see the building or rent it contact Margaret Little at 205-699-1010http://www.leedshistoricalsociety.org/ | 930 Thornton Avenue, Leeds, AL