Brewton, class of 2003, designated 2006, cityofbrewton.org
Brewton, which was incorporated in 1885, is the county seat of Escambia County located just north of the Florida Panhandle. With a population of just over 5,200, Brewton provides residents many conveniences of big-city living within the comfort and safety of a small-town lifestyle. The city offers residents quality education, recreational facilities, seasonal family events and a variety of shopping venues – all at a small-town pace. For more than 30 years, Brewton has drawn approximately 25,000 people to its annual summer Blueberry Festival and the city’s quaint downtown features independent restaurants, shops and several colorful murals on historic brick buildings.
Brewton began as a train station in May 1861 under Edmund Troupe Bruton. The city was originally known as Newport when barges made runs to and from Pensacola, Florida, on the Murder and Burnt Corn Creeks before the installation of rail. During the Civil War, rail lines were severed, and small lumber mills were damaged or destroyed. After the war, those who returned or arrived rebuilt the Brewton economy, began a school, and established small businesses. In the 1870s, a new European demand for lumber opened the way for the creation of numerous timber and lumber operations. The Conecuh-Escambia River System became a timber artery to the Gulf of Mexico. In the past, Brewton was known as “the richest little town in the South.” Brewton’s high per capita income was created by a small number of “lumber barons,” who arrived at the end of the 19th century to cut pine and stay to build extraordinary homes along Belleville and Evergreen Avenues. These families include the McMillans and the Millers, many of whom still reside in town.
1010-B Douglas Avenue, Brewton, AL 36426 | 251-809-1770